This client desired to increase the amount of useable area on the main level and create an open floor plan. The catalyst for this project was to expand the cramped kitchen and create more working and serving areas that would allow them to entertain guests more frequently. Their lifestyle needs drove the design objectives to create a new kitchen, dining space, reading/media space, and a fireplace space themed after the north woods Boundary Waters Canoe Area that they both love so much. An additional design objective was to replace all windows and doors for improved energy conservation.
APEX was initially chosen by referral and survived the interview process to become the General Contractor for the project. The relationship was further reinforced when it became evident that APEX not only understood their needs, but more importantly, understood their north woods lifestyle. APEX exceeded the client expectations by designing and building their new two story addition that fit their lifestyles precisely.
In order to understand and meet the design objectives precisely, APEX guided the client through several iterations of the design process before the construction was started. The following design elements were implemented:
- A two story addition was built to meet the client need for additional space on both levels
- The kitchen was expanded significantly with an open view to all of the main level spaces
- Kitchen storage space was increased by over 300% with well designed cabinets and a built-in hutch
- A reading/media room was added to the main level, one of the primary design objectives
- A fireplace room was created on the main level with a north woods design theme
- The new upper level spaces are well defined but softened by arches and complemented by arched windows
- Additional windows were installed to maximize the amount of natural light in all areas of the main level
- The lighting was designed to provide an abundance of general, task, and ambience lighting at night
- An upper level deck was added to create additional exterior space for grilling and relaxation
- The lower level rooms were rearranged to provide a view to the back yard when going to the lower level
- The additional lower level room became an exercise area which freed up existing space for a master suite
- Consideration was given to integrating exterior and interior spaces which drove the landscape design
Of particular interest in this project, the initial budget for the new addition came in at over $225,000. APEX felt that this was an ‘over-investment’ for that property and engaged a real estate advisor who confirmed the potential over-investment and provide some guidance for the future resale value of the property. The advisor also made design recommendations that would increase their return on investment, which the client accepted. As a result, the floor plans for both levels were revised in accordance with the advisor’s recommendations, and the project budget was reduced by over $50,000.
APEX also delivered on its stated goals of Advanced Construction Solutions and Old World Craftsmanship with fastidious attention to detail at every step the project. The new spaces created by the addition far exceeded the functional and aesthetic expectations of the client. The client was extremely pleased with APEX and described the finished project as fitting them just perfectly in every way and are doing more entertaining with guests as a result.
This is another project that was highly successful because of active client participation from the initial design throughout the ongoing decision-making during the course of the project. As a result, APEX was able to improve their quality of life.